Thursday, April 23, 2009

Assam Sambal Prawns ~ Spicy Tamarind Prawns

My mum used to serve a mean dish of assam prawns. I was younger then, and had no interest in cooking. I wish I had paid more attention. So many dishes are for now just a memory. It took me years of searching and testing various prawn sambal recipes. So pleased I have finally managed to nail the flavours of that memorable dish.

The aroma coming from this dish will draw everyone to the kitchen. For once there will be no need to ring the dinner bell.

Sambal Assam Prawns
Serves 2

Ingredients
300gm raw prawns
¼ onion, finely sliced
1 small tomato, cut to wedges
1 Tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp cooking oil

½ Tbsp tamarind paste
3/4 cup hot water

Spice Paste (grind together)
2 red chilli
½ onion
2 clove garlic
1 lemon grass (serai)
1 tsp belacan
4 candlenut (buah keras)

Assam Sambal Udang

Method
1. Knead tamarind with water, strain and set aside.

2. Heat oil in wok and fry spice paste for 5-6 minutes or until paste is fragrant and volume has reduced by about one-third.

3. Add tamarind liquid, onion, sugar, salt and tomato and simmer gently for a few minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning to suit.

4. Turn up the heat. Add prawns and cook until heated through.

5. Serve with rice.

Spicy Tamarind Prawns
Note
1. I have used a combination of shelled and unshelled prawns.
2. Add more chilli if you prefer more heat.

Tip
Sometimes frozen prawns can have a very strong 'fishy' scent. To reduce the fishiness, defrost the prawns and soak in a weak solution of white vinegar for a few minutes. Rinse and sprinkle some sugar over the prawns. Leave for a few minutes and rinse again to wash off the sugar.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej Sinner

Your dish makes me drooling.
Must find time to try this out.

Cheerio.
CClarice

Sinner said...

Hi CClarice,

If you do find time to try, would love to know what you and your lou kung think about these prawns.

Have a great weekend :)

Anonymous said...

Hej Sinner

Both of us said 'sedap'. I actually made it quite spicy and started to sneeze when I fried the paste.

Very appetizing dish with a sourish tangy. Thanks for the recipe.

Happy weekend to you, too.

CClarice

Sinner said...

Hi CClarice,

Waaah...you guys a couple of 'hotties'. haha

My palate would love 'hot' but my stomach tolerates 'medium heat' only :(

Glad you both find it sedap. Thanks for the feedback.

test it comm said...

I have some tamarind paste that I keep meaning to use and this sounds like a tasty way to enjoy some of it.

Sinner said...

Kevin, I am sure you will love the prawns.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs