Friday, November 28, 2008

Spicy Yoghurt Roast Chicken

The colour of this chicken when roasted was just amazing. I got the idea for this combination of herbs and spices from the November issue of Taste magazine. We thoroughly enjoyed the flavours.

I prefer to use the rotisserie to roast the chicken since it is by far the easiest with the least amount of handling.

Spicy yoghurt rotisserie chicken drumstick

Ingredients
1.1 kg chicken

Marinade
100ml low fat greek yoghurt
1½ Tbsp lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp chilli powder


Method
1. Mix marinade thoroughly and pour onto chicken. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.

2. Truss chicken and rotisserie at 180C for 45-60 minutes or until the juices run clear.

3. Rest the chicken for 10 minutes before cutting.

Spicy yogurt roast chicken
Note
1. Drumstick or chicken pieces can be used instead of whole chicken. Grill the drumsticks and turn intermittently during the cooking process for a nice even golden colour.

2. For normal roasting, place chicken on a roasting rack turning it over a few times.

Spicy rotisserie roast chicken
Tip
The chicken will have a stronger flavour if left to marinate overnight in the fridge.

17 Comments:

Anonymous said...

looks good sinner :) was thinking wat to do with the remaining yoghurt i bought to make cupcakes. can i use normal vanila flavoured yoghurt for this? I've chopped my chicken into pieces, u reckon i can still bake them in the oven and it'll taste good? i dun have a rotisserie, so i will leave it in the pyrex to cook. u think it'll work?

Sinner said...

Hi Favbabe,
I reckon vanilla flavoured yoghurt will still taste good. No different to us having vanilla salt ;) Hopefully it is not sweetened or you will have a slightly sweet chicken. Bake then grill will give it a nice golden colour. Happy dining !

Sunshine said...

Hi Sinner,
I have a question on baking chicken/turkey in the over. I don't have a rotisserie and everytime when I bake the chicken the skin don't come out nicely brown like your (part of it I know is because I am not using the rotisserie) but I see that some people when they bake their is nicely evenly brown.any advice.

Thanks again.

Sinner said...

Sunshine,
Without a rotisserie, you will need to bake at a higher temperature. The skin colour can vary depending on the marinate or coating. If you are using a sugary coating/marinate, it will caramelise and create a golden colour but it can burn too.

For this chicken, the paprika is what is giving it that nice deep golden skin colour :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your chicken looks so delicious (drooling-drooling)!! I made roast chicken with my rotisserie (Yes, after I dusted off the layers of dust collected) over the weekend.

I'll have to try out your recipe, too ... wonder if it'll be too spicy for my son (4 yrs)??

Sinner said...

Hi Tricia,
It is not too spicy but you can always omit the chilli powder.

Family First said...

You make it sound so easy. Will give it a try .. first time roasting chicken .. in KL, we just buy them!

Sinner said...

Family First,
I am with you....if I was in KL there would be a lot of things here that I won't go to the trouble of making either. Good luck with your first roast chicken.

Anonymous said...

Yum... looks so good! I stumbled upon your blog via google.. really love your recipes!! Will drop by often.. :)

Sinner said...

mycookinghut,
Welcome. Thanks for dropping by.

LittleHands said...

Sinner, I'm tempted hehe. Will try this recipe next time. Thks for sharing! :-)

Sinner said...

Littlehands,
Go on...you won't regret this :)

Amy Goh said...

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Uniquely tasty!

Sinner said...

Amy,
Am glad you like the roast chicken.
Thanks for the feedback :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

I love the addition of yogurt here, sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha Sinner

I made this too for tonight's dinner. I used chicken wings instead of whole chicken. The skin was crispy and tasty. My LK's yet 'another favourite'.

Hsieh hsieh ni.

CClarice

Sinner said...

Hi CClarice,

You love your chicken wings, don't you ? At least it cooks faster ;) So happy you and LK likes this dish as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs