Friday, June 22, 2007

Mui Choy Kau Yoke ~ Stewed Pork With Preserved Salted Mustard

The pork in this dish of mui choy kau yoke is cooked till it is so tender it literally melts in the mouth. The salted preserved mustard green adds to its flavour. Make sure you see the word 'salted' on the packet or else you would end up with the 'sweet' mustard green which will make this dish taste very different.



Ingredients
400 gm salted mui choy (preserved salted mustard green)
1 kg pork leg roast
black soy sauce

12 clove garlic, chopped
2 cup water/stock
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp shao hsing cooking wine

Method
1. Soak and wash mui choy of all its sand and salt. Squeeze out all the water and cut to ½" length.


2. Boil pork for 10-15 minutes.

3. Remove pork and pat dry (retain the stock for later use). Brush with black soy sauce.

4. Sear pork on all sides with a little oil in a hot pan.

5. Slice pork to ½" thickness.

6. Fry mui choy with no oil until dry.

7. Arrange pork and mui choy with the rest of the ingredients in the pressure cooker. Lock the lid and once pressure have been reached, turn heat to low and cook for 45 minutes.

boiling the porkBrush with black soy sauce
arrange pork in pressure cookertop pork with mui choy


8. Cornflour may be added to thicken the gravy. Arrange on plate with the pork on top of the mui choy. Serve with rice.

Mui Choy Kau Yoke
Note : The pressure cooker was used to cook this as I was using a fairly tough cut of pork. If using a more tender cut of pork like pork belly or tenderloin, it would be cooked in a much shorter time.

mui choy kau yoke

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks so good!!!! Juicy and "fall apart" tender. Great pictures. I'm hungry now. -lance

Sinner said...

Thanks lance.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Absolutely scrumptious! I love this dish too but won't dare to eat it too often.

Sinner said...

Thanks little corner. Are you scared of the fatty pork? I purposely chose a piece of pork with only a very thin layer of fat, so the meal didn't turn out too oily or fattening.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yes, I'm scared of fatty pork! When I was a teenager I used to hear my mom said how bad the fatty pork is and why we shouldn't eat it that now it is imprinted in my mind! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner,

Made this dish yesterday! It's amazing! I was able to find very skinny "5 far yoke". It came out perfect!

I don't have a pressure cooker, so I steamed it for 1 hr.

All I can say is ......

Sooooooooooooooo GooooooooooD!!!

Thanks for the recipe!

Sinner said...

Hi Tricia,
Lucky you, to find a skinny piece of pork.
So glad you like the kau yook though.
So I guess you will be buying a pressure cooker soon ;)
Thanks for the feedback.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Kau Yoke.. but it has to be the belly because the layers of meat and fat are just delicious! Country Kitchen Restaurant in PJ New Town used to serve the best kau yoke I ever tasted.. unfortunately, they seem to have closed down :(

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner, this is what I will cook next.A question pls...how long do you normally soak the salty mui choy. I oversoaked frequently till it was quite bland. But that was the sweet mui choy. Thanks.

Sinner said...

Hi Vien,
I soak it until the mui choy rehydrate itself so you can easily wash all the sand off. Doesn't take too long.
A bit of work with this recipe but well worth it.
Happy cooking !

Eric VAILLIER said...

Hi Sinner

Greetings from France!

I used to eat this dish called Mui Choy Ching (steam) Chu Yoke when I was a little girl. It was a homemade dish prepared by my Cantonese paternal grandmother.

Since she passed away when I was really young, I didn't manage to have her transfer to me her recipe.

Would you happen to know a dish like this?

It was salty and sweet tasting at the same time, with the mui choy still very crunchy, and the thinly sliced silky smooth pork... drooling already!

If you happen to have this recipe, do you mind sharing?

Sinner said...

Hi Eric,
I do know this dish. My mum used to steam this all the time.

Prepare the mui choy the same way as this recipe except cut it smaller. Cut up your pork and marinate it with the usual - soy sauce, dash pepper, dash sugar, salt to taste, sesame oil, cornflour and some shao hsing wine. Chop some garlic. Mix the pork with the mui choy and steam.

Hope this helps.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs