Friday, June 15, 2007

Homemade Red Curry Paste

I use to buy ready made red curry paste but by following this recipe have found it quite easy to make it yourself. Then you know that it is fresh and has not been sitting on a shelf in the shop for years. I have made this paste using easily available ingredients from my pantry and garden.

Homemade Red Curry Paste

Yield : 4 Tablespoons

Ingredients
3 stalk fresh lemongrass (use the bottom white part only, slice thinly)
1 Tbsp galangal
5 clove garlic
2 tsp chilli paste
½ tsp shrimp paste (belacan)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
5 tsp red paprika


Method
1. Grind cumin and coriander in a spice grinder until fine.

2. Pound each ingredients in a mortar and pestle starting with lemon grass until each is reduced to a paste. (It is easier to pound each item finely before adding the next one).

3. Use immediately or store in an airtight jar for 1 week. I prefer to freeze mine.


Making Red Curry Paste using a mortar and pestle
Note :
1. It is easier to prepare this using a mortar and pestle as the quantity is too little to use a electric grinder or blender unless you have the type that will grind minute quantity of paste.
2. The above quantity is more than enough for cooking 3kg of meat.

Recipe : recipezaar (adapted)

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I have bookmarked your recipe! I've got a copy of that cookbook, "Cracking the Coconut" at home, and I just can't seem to "get into" the whole notion of making my own pastes etc. But your recipe really breaks it down nicely.

For storing in the freezer, do you store it in a container, or do you first freeze them into cubes (in an ice cube tray) first? I think doing that would make it alot easier to just thaw out what you need without thawing out the whole batch!

I might post your recipe to my food blog and of course link back. I found a great recipe for chocolate oat cookies using tahini in place of the butter/shortening, and I just think it's great to have found your curry paste recipe! I WILL be checking out your blog for more fun and ideas!

Hmmm... now I'm wondering about food processor in lieu of mortar and pestle, as I have the processor but no M&P.

Sinner said...

maven
I flatten my paste in little bags (approx 4" x 5") before freezing. It is then much easier to snap the quantities required. It defrost much quicker that way too.

I have just bought myself an Amazing Bullet (equivalent of Magic Bullet) and it is the best thing since slice bread for grinding small quantity of chilli paste or tahini. I can whizz up tahini and hummus within minutes without the need to add liquid to help the blade rotate.

I have a food processor but can only use that if I am grinding a bigger quantity of paste else the ingredients just gets fling to the side and the blade goes round and round.

Choc oat cookies with tahini - that sounds yummy and so much less fattening.

Gizmo said...

This is an interesting curry paste recipe. I have never had paprika in curry paste before. Do you use the smoked paprika? Hot or sweet or a mixture? Very interesting twist!

I always use shallots and kaffir lime in Thai red curry paste and will have to give paprika a try.

Sinner said...

Hi gizmo,
You guys are so lucky and spoilt for choice.

They only sell plain old paprika here. No mention at all about the type sold.

Unknown said...

Hi Sinner,

I know I am abit too late but I stumbled your website when I was searching the best grinder to buy. Here you mentioned the 'Amazing Bullet' is the best, is it true? Is it good for a small quantity? e.g chilies for sambal

Thank you
Jenny

Sinner said...

Hi Jenny,

Amazing Bullet is the imitation of Magic Bullet but is much cheaper than the 'branded'. I have been using my AB for close to 3 years now and the only thing that needed changing was the blade. Didn't expect it to last that long. Even bought a spare when it was on special as I can't be without one.

It really is good especially for small quantities and especially for chilli sambal. It is so fast, it only takes a few seconds. I use mine at least 2-3 times a week. Sometimes even 2-3 times a day. Very easy to clean too.

I highly recommend getting one. Doesn't take up much space in the cupboard.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs