Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Bbq Bacon Jerky

This recipe is based on the style of loong yoke (recipe here) aka bak kwa or ba gua (as they are popularly called in Singapore) or barbecued dried meat except it uses bacon instead of pork. Rusti from kc posted this recipe and it seem an easy way to make a delicious piece of bbq meat that I can also use when making my tomato, onion and bacon loaf. It will definitely be more flavoursome than the ordinary bacon that I have been using. It tasted great eaten with a slice of homemade bread or as a snack.


bbq bacon jerky
Ingredients
1 kg back or shoulder bacon
60g garlic (or use some garlic flakes)

Marinade:
4 Tbsp (approx 150g) honey
200g sugar
2 Tbsp light soya sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1/4 tsp salt (adjust salt according to how salty your bacon is)
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
250ml water


Method
1. Bruise whole garlics and remove skins and set aside.
2. Mix all marinade ingredients together and microwave till sugar is melted
3. Put in the garlic and leave mixture to cool.
4. Marinade bacon in an airtight container in the fridge.
5. Leave to marinade for at least 2 days before grilling (bacon should be submerged in the marinade)
6. Barbecue on a low heat until golden.

barbecue honey bacon
Note
1. I bought a reasonably priced (didn't see the point of buying expensive bacon, as I was going to completely alter its flavour anyway) 1 kilo pack of shoulder bacon ( it is leaner, have to watch those cholestrol level) and split it into half. Marinated one half for 2 days and barbequed it first, then using the same marinate, added half the required sugar and marinated the remaining bacon for the required duration.

2. The barbecued bacon gets a nice and sticky after being left to sit for a few hours.

Recipe : rusti @kitchencaper

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sinner,

Tried your bacon jerky recipe. My first batch was quite similar to loong yoke but just not there yet acc to my Meat Lover's critique. So I added pepper and chinese cooking wine following your loong yoke recipe to the marinade following your loong yoke recipe and it was much better. Next I tried it with shaved ham and yum!...it tasted like loong yoke. Thanks to you, Sinner, I've found the short cut to loong yoke.
Next to make kai chai peng. But I can't find the dried winter melon. Been searching for 2 weeks now. Any ideas where to buy them ?

Sinner said...

Hi Denise,

Wow...shaved ham for loong yoke. Must give that a try sometime especially since it would be much easier and cheaper. Thanks for the shortcut tip. We really love our loong yoke too.

With regards to dried winter melon, on the packet they call it sweet winter melon strip. I can't really pin point exactly which shop I bought it from. That recipe was 3 years ago. But I do remember I couldn't believe my luck when I saw it. Back then we would have gone as far as Howick, or even Tai Ping in the city looking for the elusive foodstuff.

I will keep my eye open and see whether I can spot it again. Nowadays, I find the 3 Asian shops in Henderson has a good variety of chinese food stuff.

Anonymous said...

hi there,
You can get almost everything for asian foodstuff in Tofu Shop at 290 Ti Rakau Drive,Pakuranga.The aunty manning the shop is always very helpful too.

shereen

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs